Thursday, November 5, 2009

My favourite things

So I lied...I said I would post some good stuff soon and then I didn't. BUT I've been busy the last bit because I got a job! After 3 long month I'm finally back to work. The office is only about 10 minutes away from home so the commute is great but getting used to a full work day again is taking it out of me!

I'm maintaining STILL! But hopefully working will help me get back into a routine and back on schedule. I am finding it hard to find time and motivation to exercise after work (I don't think morning is an option for me) but hopefully once I get back into the swing of it I can develop some kind of plan.

But here I am ready to share some good eats with you:

First of all my new favourite salad topper is sun dried tomatoes. Hardly any calories and now less sodium they really add to the same old salad for lunch. They are a brand you can only get at Metro stores but I'm sure there's probably some similar products out there...The next recipe is courtesy of Rachael Ray - I can't decide if I like her or I hate her! Somes I find her easier to watch than others but she does make good food. This recipe for broccoli, cauliflower and ricotta pasta was easy and a crowd pleaser. Instead of choosing between broccoli and cauliflower I just used both! It was a great way to bulk up the recipe and you could hardly notice all the veg. We did find the chili pepper a bit overpowering so I would cut back next time. But I would for sure make this again!

Finally a favourite of mine for fall and winter that I have loved since I was a kid and something that just so happens to be super easy: Spud Spectacular!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
4 cups potatoes, washed and diced
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup each of onion, carrot and celery, washed and chopped (I usually add more)
2 cups of broth (I use veggie)
2 cups of milk (I use skim)
Seasoning to taste
Cheddar cheese for garnish

-Heat the oil in a large pot, then add butter and melt
-Add garlic, onion, carrot and celery and saute until clear (around 5 min)
-Add potatoes and stock, bring to a boil and then simmer until veggies are cooked (around 15 min)
-Add salt, pepper, parsely to taste
-Stir in milk, heat until warmed throughout - do not boil!
- Serve with cheddar for topping and some fresh bread

Makes generous 5 cups

I usually double it so there is lots because its great and awesome to heat up in the following days.


Well I should be getting to bed but hopefully I will blog again before a few more weeks pass...

Happy Friday, have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

fleet lawsuit