Sunday, March 22, 2009

Quinoa!

I have been hearing about quiona a lot lately and since it's the grain that is the highest in protein, as a vegetarian I thought I should try it!

So I looked up a bunch of recipes online and then made one up based on stuff I like/have handy.

So here's what I used

1/2 cup cooked quinoa
cucumbers, sweet peppers and mushrooms
1 tsp olive oil
lemon juice
a sprinkle of light feta cheese

I also meant to add chickpeas and then just forgot! It was very good. I really liked the texture of the quinoa, it's comparable to couscous but heartier. The only probelm with it is that it isn't nearly as easy to cook as couscous. You have to rinse it which I found messy with the limited amount of dishes I have here at the appartment and my cooking instructions wern't good and I really badly burnt the bottom (not sure how it's going to clean up!). I'll deffinatly make it again when I have some time and I'll try to find new instructions (let me know if you can help!)

I also did day two of C25K today! It felt good! Lots of days when I'm busy with school I don't make time to leave the appt at all let alone exercise but I felt so much better being out in the sun getting active, even for just 30 minutes :)

That's about it for now. Here is today's menu:

English muffin with peanut butter
Apple

Egg Salad:
1 hardboiled egg mixed with 1/2 tbsp light ranch dressing and 1/2 tbsp light sour cream
on weight watcher toast
veggies

1/2 oz mozarella

Quinoa salad

and I'm thinking about making some sweet potato fries as a snack for my tv shows tonight, we'll see :)

Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Love the look of your new Page!

    I've been thinking about trying quinoa too. Maybe some day soon when I get enough courage :)

    ReplyDelete

 

fleet lawsuit